Monday, October 11, 2010

JDRF

Yesterday was our "River Edge Day" for Jenna and her girl scout troop to "Scare Away Diabetes" and raise awareness and donations for the cause. The girls had a booth at Memorial Park in town, and designed informational posters and painted a big sign which read, "Girl Scout Juniors Troop 1416 Scares Away Diabetes" etc... The girls gave out spider rings, held a raffle for a huge decorated pumpkin (decorated by one of the scout's own grandmothers), hosted a pumpkin painting for kids, and more to raise awareness and funds. The girls are proud to have collected over $75.00 and counting (they're waiting on a few promised donations as well.)
The other mothers of the girls in the troop and I are so proud of their accomplishment today, and it was marvelous to see them involved and taking charge for such a worthy cause! When I get pictures, I'll post them!!!


So many people (including a clown) came to the girls and told them of their diabetes experiences. The clown mentioned that she was feeling "low" and told the girls that she had to go get some carbs. I think they felt that they were really making a difference! Unfortunately, Jimmy was home sick with a cold, so he couldn't participate, but the girls did him proud! His numbers are not too bad considering he's sick again, but time will tell.

On another note, I received an invitation for the JDRF Cocktail Reception & State of the Foundation Address at the home of the Oberlander's in Oradell on November 9th. My husband and I will be honored to attend, and are thankful for the invitation. It is quite a coincidence that their home in Oradell is on the very street on which I grew up! I'm looking forward to the evening.

Peace,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment