Friday, December 24, 2010

We got the pump!!!!

Jimmy got his pump yesterday! I'll post more details on later today or during the week, but overall, it was going great up until we actually had to insert the "cannula". We practiced first - Jimmy and Jim did it to the kangaroo they had first, then I did it to Jimmy's cousin, then Jenna and my sister did it to me. It's quick, painless, and the only thing you sense is the small mechanism being pressed to your skin, then you hear a click, and I actually felt nothing! Joey (cousin) said that the needles him and Jimmy currently use for their insulin is worse than the insertion of the cannula (that's that the little tube that stays under his skin connected to a long thin tube that connects to the pump which holds the insulin. So, when it was time for Jimmy's turn, lets just say that it was a traumatic experience for all involved. He resisted so strongly, loudly and physically, that what I really wanted to do was scoop him up and hug him and take him home. But I know the pump will be better for him in the long run. I had to hold back my tears while I was holding him down (and the nurse and Jim and Joey as well.) After about 10 minutes of that, we got it in, and he continued to sob and scream for an hour all while trying to rip out the site. It was horrible... Until I took him to blockbuster to get a movie and he conned me into 3 movies AND popcorn AND a diet coke!!! I think if he had asked for a pony I would have caved, too.

Today, he's fine, and he's actually entering the numbers into the pump and delivering the "insulin" which is actually saline for the next 5 days while we learn the ins and outs and while simultaneously giving him his real shots.


More later... I'm off to get a few last minute Christmas items!!
Merry Christmas!
Peace,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment