Wednesday, April 20, 2011

from my nephew about hw while high...

highs and homework

Between J and You
June April 6 at 12:13pm
Hi, Jimmy was high last night for homework - in the 400's at first (not sure why), so we didn't do the homework right away - then he was in the 300's. It was a disaster... he pressed so hard, it was (extra) messy, he couldn't focus, etc... He was high - I know it interferes with ability to focus, but to what extent is it the high, and to what extent is it that he's 6 - and well, Jimmy? Thanks for your input - Hope all is good!!
Joe April 6 at 3:32pm Report
I think it's probably more that he is 6, but obviously the numbers will affect everything from mood to academic/athletic performance, emotions, and overall attitude. I'm not sure why I do it but I never let my numbers be an excuse, especially with a 6 year old I think that it is important to make that clear because than he will use that as an outlet when he really doesn't want to do homework. High numbers are not going to make anyone completely incapable of focusing so I lean more towards he is 6 and probably in a bad mood or just didn't want to do the task.
June Schnakenberg Karpowich April 6 at 7:30pm
I was afraid of that - and I didn't let on that he was having trouble because he was high... the other day, he threw a bat because he was pissed at me - I know he was high, but I never factored that into the equation with him - I'm not going to give him excuses to use... His teacher said (to me - not to Jimmy) that if he's ever high and can't focus to do his homework, to just let it go, and he can do it another time... I'm not so sure about giving him an excuse... But, he had his head down and felt bad handing in his homework today his teacher said - he was embarrassed because it really was terrible. Comparing it to his usual work, it looked like he did it in the dark with his hands tied up behind his back... poor kid. How did you know to not let it be an excuse? And, do you notice your performance on schoolwork or during a conversation or during an argument or during a game is any different when you're high? Thanks Joe, you're always so helpful!!! On another note, Jimmy's teacher was asking what the class noticed in the picture of the book she was reading. In the picture, a boy had dressed up the class pet in summer clothes - I guess it was wearing a bikini top and summer clothes, and the kids were saying they saw nice colors, funny clothes on a pet, the boy smiling, etc... Jimmy raised his hand and said, "I see a bra!" It was all the teacher could do not to laugh herself!!! gotta love him - or else I'd be insane!!! Hope you're good!!

And then we talked on the phone...
My nephew gave me the BIGGEST reason to NOT give Jimmy the "excuse" to not let him do homework (or any other task at hand.) He told me, "If someone had told me that I didn't have to do homework when I was "high", then I would have eaten candy to make me high so I wouldn't have had to do it."

Now, keep in mind, that my nephew is among the BEST of the people I know. Since he was 4 years old, he was a pleasure to have a conversation with. When he was 10 (pre diagnosis) he played sports with a broken arm, because, if your coach tells you to get up and get back in the game, well, that's what you do!! He even finished the game!! He does what is expected of him - period. He's an awesome individual, and I hope my son can learn all he has to offer!!

So, do I let him not do the work? I don't think so. I hear it in my future if I do... It might sound something like this: "Mom, I can't empty the dishwasher because I'm high." or, "Mom, I can't do my homework because I'm high." Or, "Mom, I can't put my clothes in the laundry because I'm high." All along while he's thinking, "Mom, woohoo, thank god I'm high so I don't have to do what I need to do!!!"

I can't take the chance - can I? I don't think so... Would love some back up... I just hated how he was embarrassed to hand in his homework. As "Jimmy-ish" as he is, he does take some pride in his homework...
To be continued...
Peace,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment