Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"Hey Mom, I think I'm low!"

So he tells me he wants an ice pop, so I told him to get his "tester" to test himself. (So proud of him that he takes charge and tests himself now!!!) Then he decides to play a little more first. "Not a problem," I told him, "Just test yourself when you're ready to eat one." "K mom!" he yells as his voice trails off while running to play outside.

So, there I am 20 minutes or so later outside chatting with neighbors when I guess Jimmy wanted the ice pop, tested himself and said quite casually, "Hey Mom, I think I'm low." Just like that!!!!! - just as if he was tellig me that the sky was blue or the grass was green - - I've got sirens and alarms going off in my head, and he's not got a care in the world... Maybe he was wrong - I was certain he read the meter upside down. He told me that he was a 61. I was sure that he meant a 91 - he couldn't be a 61!!! Right???

Well, he was!!! Yikes!!! Quick - get the juice!!! All he was concerned about was that he still be able to eat the ice pop (which are only 5 carbs each - not enough to bring his blood glucose number up...) Poor kid.

He has been so good about it all lately, but he seems to be getting "tired" of the shots and gives me such a hard in the mornings now... I might look into a "numbing" lotion to see if that could be a solution. I'll keep you posted.
Peace,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment