Thursday, July 15, 2010

Back to Juvenile Diabetes...

I'm reading a book called "The Challenge of Childhood Diabetes: Family Strategies for Raising a Healthy Child," by Laura Plunkett. I found a passage from the book that hit home:

"Some days I could sit back and say that we had no control over the course of [his] illness. I found comfort in the belief that we were doing the best we could and that we couldn't know what the future would bring... In my philosophical moments, decisions became easier because all I could do was try my best. I'd think, '[He] has his own path, I have mine, and we have to accept whatever life bring us.' At those times, I'd feel peaceful and strong. However, when I had to decide whether to interrupt him for an extra dose of insulin or let him continue playing with a friend, I felt painfully conflicted. One voice would say, 'Let him be a kid,' and the other would respond, 'Every high leaves its mark. Every low is another assault on his system. You're irresponsible if you don't step in.' As a result, I was still lying in bed most nights, my head a jumble of thoughts, trying to come up with some plan... to make the next day's numbers improve."

Although the JD has never taken a back seat, it's been overshadowed lately... Since our April 1st diagnosis of Juvenile Diabetes, here's the rundown of Jimmy's encounters...
-trip in the ambulance for a bat to the head
-CT scan to rule out skull fracture
-skull fracture negative, but they found an Intercranial Arachnoid Cyst
-visit with the pediatric neurosurgeon
-5 stitches on his shin for a mis-step on a non moving escalator
-one cavity filled on a baby tooth
-mri for a baseline of the arachnoid cyst

We're waiting for an appointment with the neurosurgeon for the results of the mri, so until then, we're back to dealing only with the juvenile diabetes part of Jimmy...

I will continue to write about the trials and tribulations of Jimmy and juvenile diabetes. I'm finding comfort in getting it all down. It's been quite a blur these last 3 months, and I might want to remember it all one day.
Peace,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment