Thursday, July 15, 2010

MRI Today...

So, to follow up on Jimmy's Intercranial Arachnoid Cyst, we had to be at the MRI today at 10 for a 10:30 appointment. It took a took a nurse, the technician, the anesthesiologist, another, and me to hold him down to get the iv in. They can't believe how strong he is. He was so loud and sweaty and scared, I just wanted to take him away and make everything alright.

I think he was exceptionally having a hard time since he had to have blood taken on Monday. Jim took him for his physical, EKG & blood work to get Medical Clearance for the MRI. The physical and EKG were fine and then they had to wait at Labcorp for over an hour. When they were finally called in, Jimmy started out a bit scared, but was well behaved and sitting with Jim quietly. The stupid technician poked poor little arm 6 times before he said to Jim, "Your boy no cooperate." Jim was furious, and told the guy to try the other arm or get someone else. Poor Jimmy WAS cooperating! The guy decided to try the other arm and was successful the 2nd time. I call that incompetence, and poor Jimmy was traumatized - when he came home, he fell into my arms and cried for a 1/2 hour. Poor little kid.

So, it kind of explains why he gave all of the staff a run for their money this morning at the MRI. They finally were able to get the IV in, and he calmed down a bit (still in my arms.) We had to go into the next room to get him onto the table, when he started freaking out again... I hugged him tight, and he clung on to me with all of his might. He would not lie down for anything, so they decided to give him a bit of anesthesia to relax him a bit. His whole body just took a sigh and turned noodlish. He was just so relaxed and able to let go and lie down. It was then then that they asked me to leave the room, and as I did I asked them for some of that medicine to take home with me!! LOL!!!

When he came out of the mri into recovery, he was a riot - you know that youtube video of the boy who had just been to the dentist and had obviously had some laughing gas? Well, it was pretty close - I had gotten him some silly bands at the gift shop to give him when he woke up. They were in the shapes letters, so I plucked out the letters J-I-M-M-Y to give him when he woke up. As his eyes were opening, I dangled the J in front of him to perk him up (he just loves his silly bands.) He lit up a bit and as he tried to grab it, his fingers were grasping air about 2 inches northwest of the J!! As I gave him the I, the nurse and I asked him what letter it was, but he didn't answer. Then I handed him the first M, and when we asked him what letter it was, he said, "I." We had to bite our lip to not laugh! His coordination was off and his thinking was delayed!! It was awfully cute...

Anyway, I have the MRI pix, and Jim and I have no idea how to read them, but we can definitely see the cyst - and from so many different angles. I think we shouldn't have looked at the cd. We see the neurosurgeon in early August. I'll try not to worry until he gives me a reason to. Jimmy's a happy little boy, and that's what we'll focus on for now...
Peace,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment