Friday, September 24, 2010

JDRF

Jenna is a Girl Scout Junior again this year. For the Junior "bronze" Award, she will need to make a difference in the community this. She'll have to research, plan, and carry out something that she deems important. She can work as a whole group with the other Juniors, or in a smaller group, or with a partner, or individually.

For her bronze award idea, Jenna would like to raise more money for Juvenile Diabetes (her and Jimmy with 3 friends this summer had a lemonade stand and raised over $40 for JDRF, and it was in the paper yesterday! Adorable picture of the kids holding the money they earned at the stand.) Jenna is looking to do more. Together, her and I found an actual JDRF walk that is just like any other fundraiser/walk. It has incentive prizes - even raising only $10 can earn the first level incentive. She's willing to do it alone or with the whole group. Jenna first thought of having the walk in November for Jimmy's birthday - but that's too soon. Then she thought of April 1st since that's the day he was diagnosed. that's more manageable. She and whoever joins her from the troop have been invited to "pitch" the idea at a future Girl Scout Leader's meeting.

Jenna is so helpful with Jimmy. They're 5 years apart, so she's been involved from the start - from diapers to bottles to even now testing his blood and administering insulin shots! She is even starting to calculate how much insulin he needs on her own - and although she checks with me, she's been right every time! So grown up. Jim and I are so very proud!

I believe I hit the jackpot with my children! I couldn't be more proud.

On another note, I've applied for Jimmy and I to attend "JDRF Children's Congress" in Washington, DC in 2011. I got a call from the Northern NJ chapter of JDRF to just provide more information so they can go ahead and back me up as a potential candidate. You can find out more information at www.jdrf.org
Peace,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment