Wednesday, February 23, 2011

7.0!!!

We went yesterday morning to Dr. A., (the endocrinologist) for his every 4 month appt. I was nervous and excited at the same time!!! Really looking forward to his a1c reading - keep your fingers crossed for below an 8 - or close to a 7 would be great!!! (kind of like a hemoglobin test, but looking for diabetes high blood sugar markers...)

So, we've got Jimmy's results!!!
We're at a 7.0 A1C... I feared it would be below a 7 with the lows lately, but... I'll take it! Without the lows, it would have been a 7.5 ish - Pretty good!!! Of all of his readings, he's got 14% that are in the low range. They want it to be only 5% or under. We just changed a bunch of things - one being that we're not going to correct at the 10 a.m. snack anymore (regardless of whether or not he was corrected for breakfast.)

We also changed overnight basal rate as well as the night time snack bolus. We'll see what this brings!! All of which are an easy fix for any md professional, but ALL NEW TO US!!!

On a positive note, he grew over 3 inches since his appt in November!!! Woohoo!!! Also gained 3 pounds!!! Woohoo!!! We saw Dr. Ay instead of Ai... She was very pleasant, but Rachel had already told us everything we needed to know and basically had already recommended all of the changes the dr. was going to make!! They've really got a gem in Rachel - something about her is just quite super hero -ish!!! I couldn't imagine going through this without her!!!

Got an appt for Jimmy w/ the eye doctor on March 3rd... Keeping my fingers crossed that it goes well! He's been monitored since he was 2 since Jenna had "ambliopia" if thats how it's spelled... But now, it's more important than ever to make sure his vision is ok... He seems to be more light sensitive than ever (he's always been light sensitive with his blue eyes...).
Started communicating with people on "juvenation" which is a blog site w/ JDRF. Even got a new follower!!! Will contact them as soon as I get a moment to breathe...


One more thing... Jim complained to the dr. that I don't sleep - and inquired how to fix that...
Dr. Ay more or less agreed that it was ok for me to stay up until midnight to test him and that one of us test him at 3a.m. There's no other way... It's awful, but necessary... There went Jim's theory that sleep was more important... maybe for the kids, but not for us. We gave up our rights when we had the kids. What's some more grey hair, right??? I'm willing, and after last night, I think he is, too.

You see, last night, I decided to retire at about 10:30 - even though I wanted to stay up and test him at midnight. I told Jim that Jimmy needed to be tested at midnight and at 3a.m. Since he told me that he felt it was important that we all get our sleep... I put it in fate's hands. I told him where the glucagon was, gave him the tester, and went to sleep (although I didn't sleep very well).

He woke up at 3 a.m. and tested Jimmy. He was in the 300's. YIKES. He had to wake me up to find out what to do, and wound up staying awake for the next hour on his own, worried, about what the next reading would be...

In the meantime, a midnight reading would have revealed a high, and we could have avoided the 3am high.

Lesson learned. I'm going up soon to test him at midnight - at Jim's request (he doesn't want a repeat...). If I test him at 12, then he will hopefully be fine at 3am.... At least, more often than not...

We'll get it right - just over nights is where it's at now...

Totally looking into the sensor. Better nights to be had... Details to come!!!
Peace,
June

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the great A1c! It's kind of like getting a report card every 3 months, isn't it? The sleep thing...I all of us suffer from sleepless nights to one extent or another. During the time T-Bear was pumping, I had to check him far more frequently. Now that he's back to MDI's, I usually on need to check him once in the wee-morning hours, then when we get up. Can't do much about the night-time worrying, though...

    ReplyDelete