Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 1: April 1, 2010

Hi,
I'm at humc w/ my son, Jimmy. He was diagnosed w/ juvenile diabetes today (hard to say still, let alone put in print).
He'll be fine - it's treatable - just pray that our transition in this crappy hand that was dealt will be as smooth as it can be. (sorry for the language!)
He hates blood and needles - It's breaking my heart to see him cry. Luckily I was cured of my needle phobia when I had the 10 needles of pain killer in my nose when I broke it this fall!- so I'll be fine with the needles (even gave him his first finger prick and assisted w/ the first insulin injection.)

Anyone have experience w/ this? Just wanted back up - we have a nephew w/ it - he was so awesome to drive up from college early today to spend time with "Slim" as he calls him. They were comparing their jd "tools" as jimmy calls it.

I'm so used to it being me w/ the injury or illness. I'd prefer it that way - Now it's my baby. He looks so little in the hospital bed. I can't kiss this and make it better - can I?
We're sleeping here tonight and tomorrow night. Lot's of education tomorrow and tons of monitoring his levels. We'll be home Sat. afternoon or evening.
I'll keep you updated.
love you,
Peace,
June

No comments:

Post a Comment